"Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."
― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Friday, July 3, 2009

Pediatric Chaplain who visited Sam and us and Music

I just remembered (again) how the Pediatric Chaplain came around to see us when we were in Sam's room with him. Her name is Rev. Janet, and she is the one who worked it out with hospital security that my husband would be permitted to play the lobby piano after 10 pm (and visiting hours were over). We stayed in a local hotel, across the street from the hospital (they were just in the process of building a Ronald McDonald House), and my husband missed his piano. The staff did rounds and/or staff changes at 10 pm, and parents were supposed to leave for about an hour if possible. So that is when we went down to the lobby. My husband practiced usually some classical pieces. (He's played/studied the piano since he was a kid, as did I, but he is five times better than I've ever been. . . ) I would usually read, and sometimes write an entry in one of my book blogs. My husband's piano playing has always been soothing to me, calming. When I was pregnant with Sam, his playing would calm both of us down. Sam loving his dad's piano playing in utero. . . I would sit right next to the piano so that he would hear it. (I apologize if I have previously written about this. . .)

Anyway, we both really appreciated that my husband had this opportunity to play the piano. The only regret is that Sam never got to hear his dad play the piano after he was born. Sam died just before the little portable keyboard we'd ordered arrived. We still have it. My husband will be bringing it to the hospital we have another baby someday, and play for that baby right away.

No comments: