"Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."
― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Scrapbooking. . . . Part 1

Today as I walked on the treadmill in the fitness room (before my "afternoon" sickness set in), I allowed myself to think about starting a scrapbook already for this baby. I know that I am only maybe about 6 weeks along, but it made me excited. For Sam, my dear husband and I picked out a scrapbook together one night at the scrapbook store. Since by then we didn't know how long we'd have with Sam, I started putting everything in it. . . even a page where I creative wrote down most of the titles of music Sam heard in utero - in the car, on the radio, when my dear husband played the piano, at a concert we went to, etc. Today as I listened to music while exercising I dreamed of doing this again. Some of the songs that I have already exposed the baby to, although the baby cannot hear yet, may not be appropriate to mention to the baby when the baby becomes a preschooler, such as the All-American Rejects song "(I hope my face)Gives You H*LL". He or she might think that is funny (or maybe rather lame) later, but not really appropriate fare for a four-year old.

If this baby could hear yet, he or she would have already heard quite a variety of bell music (and will hear it close up again in the near future), piano music of various kinds (but mostly classical, as that is what my dear husband mostly plays), persian music (there is a cd for kids I like, and then music by Axiom of Choice), and then The Beatles, Regina Spektor, Enya, Weird Al, Pink Floyd, and various rock and pop songs from over the years. If I get my flute fixed, the baby will hear whatever I feel like playing, for the most part.

When do I start writing the names of songs down for the baby? Is now too soon? Do I wait? I know my husband wants me to wait until we're sure this baby is viable, even though we already love the idea of him or her. My husband has even started talking to the baby, even though said baby is barely the size of a baby pea! This is making me hopeful that everything will go reasonably well in the long run. My uterus is also apparently the size of a plum currently.

No comments: