"Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."
― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Time, Waiting for the Anniversary of Sam's Death (April 3, 2008)

Here is what I posted to an HLHS Loss group earlier tonight:

The first anniversary of my Sam's death is just hours away. It will be at 3 am central time. For weeks now, I've told myself I am not going to fall in to the "time" trap . . . that I wasn't going to mark every minute as this day approched. But, I have been, and I think I've been marking time with events all along. (I've even started thinking on the two year mark now - I conceived Sam two years ago last week, etc.) So, a day or two ago, I remember thinking, it was one year ago that had the catheterization through his liver that made him have the slow internal bleedout. Last night (April 1st), it was the last time we gave him his bed bath (in the hospital, since he never left). Today (April 2), I keep thinking, okay, it was this time last year that we met with the geneticist at 10 am. It was at 2 pm last year that I had made it to work (I had gone back part-time after it looked like Sam would not be leaving the hospital anytime soon, after my c-section recovery/7weeks of maternity leave), but I didn't want to be there. I had a "feeling", "intuition", that something was going to happen, and I kept checking to make sure my cell phone had power and carried it on my person at all times while at work because I felt like something was going to happen. I should have listened to my intuiation and left work and spent the time with my little Sam. At this exact moment last year (in Central time), I had left work, and arrived back at the hospital, where Sam's numbers were getting a little scary, and they had figured out that he needed blood, so he was getting infused, but they still hadn't found the leak yet.

So, I keep thinking this way, replaying everything. I can't stop myself.

No comments: