"Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."
― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Comments on Fetal Echoes

So . . . in another part of my life (one of my music groups), I was talking last week to a woman who is an ultrasound tech (and specifically performs fetal echocardiograms.)   When I said that with my pregnancy with Nick that I was upset that my original OB  thought we needed to wait until at least 22 weeks to do a fetal echo, but I insisted that it could be done earlier, she was surprised.   We did have it done at exactly 16 weeks, and she was surprised when I told her that, too.   She said that is really early.   I practically retorted that we could have gotten it done in Chicago at 15 weeks.  She seemed really surprised by that.   I also found out that she works for the other pediatric cardiology group in town than the one we eventually had the appointment with at 16 weeks.  I had talked with this group that she now works for, and yes, they were very reluctant to do a fetal echo earlier - they wanted to wait until 18 weeks.   I don't think MY heart could have taken another two weeks! 


All of this is rather ridiculous in that CHOP in Pennsylvania can do them as early as 12 weeks. 
http://www.chop.edu/service/cardiac-center/our-services/fetal-heart-program.html
 Even the group in Chicago that cared for our Sam could probably do them that early, although they still don't advertise that.   They still say 15 weeks. http://www.thic.com/fetalechocard.htm  Northwestern does them at 16-18 weeks gestation. http://www.nwcchd.com/cardiactesting.php#fetal That seems late - at least for HLHS.  Yes, I know they can't even really see images of some structures of the heart until even after the baby is born (why we had an echo on N after he was born), but they can most certainly tell early on if it appears the baby has two entire ventricles!  


It was such a relief to know that his heart appeared to be healthy  . . . or at the least, had nothing majorly wrong with it at that point in time!  

No comments: